Grade 8 Curriculum Guide
“FUTURE FINANCIERS” – First Semester
“ADVERTISING”– Second Semester
PURPOSE: Using an interdisciplinary approach, the students explore the challenging world of the New York Stock Exchange, Advertising and the media influence. While pretending to be an active participant of Wall Street and the advertising world, students will experience the volatile nature of both industries and how it affects our economy.
- To provide strategies for each student to purchase stock selections as they identify factors that might result in greater benefits then cost.
- To analyze stock choices and identify appropriate selection strategies.
- To identify the company that produces a particular product and the parent company of a particular business.
- To identify characteristics of economic cycles and predict the influence of cycles on consumer choices and stock performance.
- To observe the rise and fall of the New York Stock Exchange.
- To calculate the financial gains and losses of the market over a given period of time.
- To demonstrate through practical application, technology skills necessary to compete in a global society.
- Students will be able to understand the role of advertising as it relates to current events
- Students will be able to understand the techniques of persuasion often used by advertisers.
- Students will be able to analyze and deconstruct current advertisements and product campaigns.
- Students will be able to discuss, criticize and/or defend current trends in advertising.
- Students will be able to understand the meaning of “transfer”, “catchphrase”, and “catchwords” in persuasive writing.
- Students will be able to analyze and discuss persuasive techniques using in advertising since the 1950s.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the concept of “demographics” as it relates to a specific audience.
- Students will be able to synthesize the acquired information on advertising into creating their own advertisements.
- Students will be able to analyze common communications tactics used by advertisers to influence a targeted demographic.
- Students will be able to collaborate with peers to dramatize a media and by applying advertising techniques to the implied message.
- Students will be able to experience with the integration of sound, movement, language, and artifacts to create communication.