June 12, 2023
Millville Public Schools Families and Staff:
At approximately 5:30am this morning, district administration was alerted by Millville Police that a crime had taken place on the Rieck Avenue Elementary school property. This event occurred outside of school hours.
Due to the nature of the crime and the timing of its discovery, we made the initial decision to move Rieck Avenue Elementary to a Two-Hour Delay schedule. We wanted to provide the police ample time to process the crime scene and perform any other investigative duties they required, which included the cooperation of our Security Chief and Assistant Security Chief. District representatives were on site early in the morning and communicating directly with police.
Early in the investigation, we were informed that the police would need more time to process the crime scene and complete the on-site investigation. As a result, we made the decision to relocate all Rieck Avenue Elementary staff and students to Lakeside Middle School. Students and staff were housed in the auditorium in order to accommodate the entire school population. Other support staff members were reassigned to Lakeside in order to serve the Rieck Avenue school group, including cafeteria and custodial staff.
Classes were assigned specific sections of the auditorium and provided instructional materials for the school day. We also worked with our Transportation department to ensure that buses were re-routed to Lakeside Middle School to transport our Rieck Avenue students to and from school.
We understand the anxiety that our initial communications may have caused our families and staff this morning. Please know that we shared what information we were permitted by the Millville Police Department, with the primary goal of ensuring our students and staff were able to proceed with their school day. As this is an active police investigation, we are still limited in what information we may share with you.
What we would like to emphasize is that at no time today was there an active threat to any of our students or staff. Although the police investigation took place on our school property, the investigation was not related to Rieck Avenue school.
We would like to end this communication with thanks:
- Thank you, Rieck Avenue staff and families for your cooperation and understanding as we responded to the fluid situation this morning.
- Thank you, district staff members that were involved in the relocation process, including our administrators, supervisors, security, cafeteria staff, custodial staff, nurses, bus drivers, and more.
- Thank you, teaching staff from all of our elementary schools for assisting in gathering and delivering instructional materials for your Rieck Avenue colleagues to utilize.
- Thank you, Lakeside staff and students for welcoming our Rieck Avenue family to your building.
- Thank you, Millville Police Department for your cooperation with the district and dedication to protecting our families.
If you or your child needs support during this time, please contact your child’s school counselor or case manager. You may also reach out to local support resources below:
- Cumberland County Crisis: (856) 455-5555
- PerformCare: (877) 652-7624
We appreciate our Millville community and thank you for your trust and understanding.
- Gracias, personal y familias de Rieck Avenue por su cooperación y comprensión mientras respondíamos a la situación fluida esta mañana.
- Gracias, miembros del personal del distrito que participaron en el proceso de reubicación, incluidos nuestros administradores, supervisores, seguridad, personal de la cafetería, personal de limpieza, enfermeras, conductores de autobuses y más.
- Gracias, personal docente de todas las escuelas primarias por ayudar a recopilar y entregar materiales de instrucción para que los utilicen sus colegas de Rieck Avenue.
- Gracias, personal y estudiantes de Lakeside por dar la bienvenida a nuestra familia de Rieck Avenue a su edificio.
- Gracias, Departamento de Policía de Millville por su cooperación con el distrito y su dedicación para proteger a nuestras familias.
- Crisis del condado de Cumberland: (856) 455-5555
- PerformCare: (877) 652-7624