Exceptional Children » Special Education FAQ

Special Education FAQ

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law that mandates a free appropriate public education to children with disabilities. It ensures special education and related services to students ages 3-21 who are eligible based on a specific category of disability.
An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is a legal document that details your child’s present levels of academic achievement and functional performance, measurable annual goals, description of how the child’s progress will be measured, the special education and related services and supplementary aids and services that will be provided to the child, the program modifications or supports for school personnel, an explanation to the extent, if any, in which the student will not participate with nondisabled peers, accommodations that are necessary, the projected date for the beginning of services, and the frequency and duration of the services provided. For students who are nearing the end of their secondary school education, the IEP must also include transition services.
Preschool children and students ages three through twenty-one who live in the Millville Public School District and are suspected of having developmental or learning difficulty.

What is a referral? A referral is a written request for an evaluation that is given to the school district when it is suspected that a child has a disability that requires special education services.

If you believe that your child may have a disability, you may refer your child for an evaluation by submitting a written request to your school district. Address the letter to your child’s teacher, a case manager, or the Director of Exceptional Children & Student Services, along with a brief reason of why you would like to refer your child for evaluation.

Parents, school personnel, and agencies concerned with the welfare of students, including the New Jersey Department of Education, are able to make a referral.