Registration » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

A: It is the policy of the Millville Public School District to balance class loads at each school. Find your neighborhood school by navigating to the Transportation Documents & Forms page and opening the Street Index - School Assignments file.
A: No. Millville Public Schools policy states that a child must be five years of age by October 1st.
A: It is not necessary for your child to attend the registration appointment.
Computer kiosks and assistance with the process, including document scanning, are available at the Child Family Center and the Registration Office at the Culver Center.
A: All required documents must provided in order to register your child. Registration cannot be completed without the full list of documents. Please see the New Student Registration page for reference.
A: Yes. For each new student you register with the district, you much provide all of the required documentation listed on the New Student Registration page.
A: No. For documents such as a birth certificate, the original is required. We will only accept copies if provided by the child's former school.
A: Please call the Registration Office at 856-327-6166 and we will explain future resident policies. 
A: It is helpful if you provide your child's transfer card, student health record (immunizations record), and proof of physical. If a student is entering Kindergarten for the 1st time or coming from another state, a proof of physical is required. 
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to request a transfer card from the school where their child is currently enrolled. A photo ID is required to request a transfer card. The school will provide the parent with a transfer card along with the student’s A45 (immunization record) to be taken to the new school where the student will be enrolled. 
A: The person you are residing with will be responsible for signing a Certificate of Residency to prove that the parent/guardian and children are residing at their home. A photo ID must be provided by the parent/guardian and the person they are residing with, as well as the person’s proof of residency:
  • Current Cable, gas or electric bill
  • Mortgage
  • Lease
  • Tax Bill
Open the Records & Transcripts Request page to view instructions and access the Records Request form.